Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Comical Thoughts

Today's Curtis made me happy, which is unusual. I love the artwork, but I only laugh at the Sunday strips where Curtis makes fun of the hats.

But today's! Curtis is at the barbershop, listening to the barber, who always has something interesting/funny to say.



The sign(s) on the wall change from panel to panel. Little background gags.

But look at the first one.



I don't know what Ray Billingsley had in mind when he put this in the comic, so this is merely my interpretation.

If you can't see it, it says "Blonde Dye! Not Here!"

That says to me that Gunther is proud of being black, and proud of every physical part of his identity - including his hair. (Or he was.)

But some people aren't, and one way to hide blackness is to change hair - straighten it, make it lighter, make it whiter. (In 11th grade, we had to read an excerpt from Malcolm X's biography about the time he used lye on his hair to look "better".)

So this sign makes me happy - comics do matter, or they wouldn't be there. They do stay with us. Curtis is already important because it has a black family doing... family things! The horror! And now with the black pride background gag, well, that's great.


Curtis's uplifting background sign is challenged by Billy's lies in today's Family Circus.



It is true that you never see rabbits wearing glasses, but that has more to do with the fact that they are animals than their diet. (Which isn't exclusively carrots.)

Carrots are the only vegetables I will eat willingly - as long as they're uncooked. In fact, according to a kindergarten or 1st grade project, carrots were my favorite food. And yet, I wear glasses.

Carrots won't stop the glasses monster from vandalizing your face, but the vitamin found in it is good for eye health, I believe. I'm not looking it up, I'm just saying that Billy is a liar.


Despite the lies and social messages, I still laughed at a comic: today's Mother Goose & Grimm.



::silly grin::

Enjoy your Wednesday, the week's halfway over!

No comments: