Saturday, September 27, 2008

What is the purpose of a prayer box on your door?

So we're kinda sorta encouraged to decorate the door to our rooms.

I haven't done it, but the most common decoration is a dry erase board.

This year, two girls have more hot guys than door. (Including Johnny Depp.) There are so many pictures people stop and stare. And they're right by the stairs, so you have to walk around the people...

And then a girl put up a piece of paper with a quote from the Bible - Luke, Chapter 11 verses 11-13, which says, "If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?"

Underneath this is a prayer box. Apparently, because God will give us good things, we should leave a prayer in this box.

But then my suitemates put one up (we share a bathroom). With a dry erase board and pad of paper on the door. I was well, whatever about it.

Until they wrote "Please leave your name along with your prayer. Thank you & God Bless."

When I saw that, I wrote "Why?" on the dry erase board. (Anonymously, of course.) This was soon erased by somebody offering to help with hair.

I don't get this. Why have a prayer box on your door? Are you going to read these? I thought prayer was a private thing. What will they do with the prayers? I'm really confused by this.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

If I were a more cynical person I'd say for mocking purposes. But its probably for some fuzzy feel good reason, like why people buy Chicken Soup for the Soul books. You'd have to wonder about the people who are filling out their prayers and submitting them to your suitemates, what do they expect?