Friday, August 17, 2007

I love this video!

I found it at Pandagon, a site I've abandoned for too long.

It's a video of anti-abortion people who want abortion to be illegal, but don't know what, if any punishment there should be.

One believes it's murder, but doesn't think that women who get illegal abortions should be punished as other murderers.

And another believes that it depends on if the woman knew she was killing her baby or not. Yeah, that makes little sense to me too.

I stand by what I've said before - I'd get an abortion if I got pregnant in the next few years, as soon as possible. Mentally, I can't do it. Physically, I think my doctors would kill me. And I don't want to get pregnant, I don't want to have kids right now. What's worse - an abortion as soon as I realize I'm pregnant, or having a kid that I'm not ready for?

As for my family, my mother doesn't think abortion is right, but doesn't think she has the right to tell any woman what to do with her body, so she's on the same page I am - pro-choice. I may not like it, but I'm not denying others the right to do it.

I just like that they want it illegal, but don't want to punish the women who have abortions. The state's sanctioning murder, according to one.

This reminds me of a bit of immigration debate - deport all illegal immigrants or lock them all up here.

How? There are millions of illegal immigrants, right? And they're undocumented, so they're not too easy to find, right?

How are you going to deport millions of people? And what about the children of illegal immigrants, who are American citizens, if I remember correctly? Deport their parents, and put them in foster care? What?

Everybody wants to stop illegal immigration.

They can't even agree on how to do that.

I don't know how I feel about illegal immigration, but I'm not making big statements on tv about it, or acting like I do. That's my only contribution to the debate - how?

And now I have a way to do the same to people I actually disagree with!

I think abortion should be legal because, until you are in that position, you have no idea what you'd do.

Plus, there was this Law and Order where this underage girl got an abortion without her parent's consent. The detectives found a baby, thought it was a college kid, and found this dead end - the college girl's sister got pregnant, and used her ID for the test, and then got an abortion. Her dad called her a slut and was furious at the thought of her pregnant.

But an abortion is worse! That was a great, albeit fictional, example of why teenage girls should be able to have an abortion without parental consent.

Of course Law and Order's touched on illegal immigration, but nothing concrete because this isn't an easy issue.

No comments: