Monday, August 13, 2007

Mississippi did something smart!

Didn't last long.

A high school football player died from heatstroke during practice, and there was and probably still is a heat advisory in place for most of the state.

Along with the triple digit heat.

The day after the student's death, a judge ordered that there be no school-sponsored activities outside between the hours of 9am and 7pm.

People were pissed, because the schools affected would be at a disadvantage because their players couldn't play as much as the others, and they take care of the students and blah blah blah. I thought it was smart, everyone else I know thought it was smart, but we don't play football in Mississippi.

Or anywhere else. It is so hot, Becky's friends don't play basketball when they come over, and they've done that all summer, even when it edged towards 100.

These last few days have been too hot.

Every time I've gone outside, I get dizzy, nauseous, and soaked in sweat. And that's just walking to the mailbox. I'm not in perfect shape, but I rode my bike all summer - one time, a temperature display said it was 100, and it was not that bad.

Let's go back south, shall we?

A higher court overturned the judge's ruling.


And the coaches who were pissed off are saying that their position is "common sense", not the judge's. He doesn't have the authority.

His team practiced at 6:30am on Friday, but they're back to normal now.

What is wrong with practicing early in the morning and late in the evening?

I can't think of a single reason!

And someone I know died of heatstroke 2 years ago. He was at boot camp in Missouri.

These coaches have been in the sun too long.

No comments: