Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I really don't get today's "Pluggers".

Here it is.

I was introduced to this bizarre comic by the Comics Curmudgeon.

It's not carried by my paper, just like They'll Do It Every Time, so I have to seek it out online.

Just like TDIET, it's not funny or bizarre on purpose, like Pearls Before Swine and Get Fuzzy. PBS came to the Commercial Appeal when Foxtrot became a Sunday-only strip, but we don't get to see its Sunday strips!

Just like we get Mallard Fillmore Monday through Saturday, but the liberal media makes me go online (usually to the Seattle PI's website, how's that for liberal?).

The problem with Pluggers is that there is no daily website like Crap Every Time or Duck and Cover for it. There's a site called PlugWatch 200x, the blogger writes fictional pieces based on the cartoons, but it hasn't been updated since February 24th. I didn't think the idea was interesting, but now it does, so I'll have to look it over another day. The comic also makes the occasional appearance at the Comics Curmudgeon, but not every day.

I want to start a Pluggers blog like Crap Every Time or Duck and Cover, not like Plugwatch. Just snarky comments or confusion about the day's strip, no short stories.

If I still want to, I'll start it April 1st.

Cool idea.

Onto today's. It just makes no sense to me.

According to the official site, Pluggers are "the hard-working people the world depends on. They represent the 80 percent of humanity who unceremoniously keep plugging along, balancing work, play and family life. Pluggers encounter and conquer obstacles in their lives, but they always have a positive attitude and a good sense of humor. They're the people who work hard for what they get. Even if they're struggling, they are optimistic about life."

That still doesn't make today's strip any easier to understand. "Pluggers hold onto their clothes for a long time" seems to be the main message, but I don't get the belly button lint thing. I've never had a shirt give me belly button lint - I always assumed anything in there was dried, dead skin, not clothing. It certainly doesn't look like dryer lint. I've never had any of my clothes shed on me, except for an old one that had a beaded fringes, the beads shed. Not on me, but that's the closest I've ever had to 'shedding clothes'.

Now that it's not 2 in the morning, it does make sense. I guess some shirts have a fuzzy feel, a very slight one, and the fuzz can collect in your bellybutton as lint, just like the stuff that collects in the lint trap of the dryer. I've just never thought of bellybutton lint as being clothing lint, even though that makes more sense. I just thought it meant the dry, dead skin that collects there.

I see the loose fuzz on my shirt, and it's as red as this type. And I've never pulled red lint out of bellybutton - it's always skin colored.

So I understand the strip, but I guess that puts me outside the "hardworking ... 80 percent of humanity".

I can't wait to start the blog!

No comments: