Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf

I love this book. I got it last Tuesday for 99 cents at the Memphis Goodwill. I couldn't pass it up.

There is a part in the 'Violence' chapter on page 225 that still resonates.

It's about how Victorian doctors claimed contraception of any kind caused galloping cancer, sterility, and nymphomania in woman.

The last one we still hear from certain religious groups - the last one about the HPV vaccine, which can prevent cervical cancer. Since it's best if it's done before women become sexually active. The vaccine will make them go out and have sex, since cervical cancer is no longer a problem! The birth control I'm taking to keep my endometriosis and ovarian cysts under control is obviously turning me into a nympho.

And don't forget sex ed. Hearing that there are things that can be worn, taken, or done to prevent pregnancy or disease after sex CLEARLY turns us into nymphos.

Bullshit.

I'm braindead, and can't think of a comparison right now.

No comments: